Below you can find some defensive driving tips and techniques:
Defensive driving is probably one of the most essential skills to possess as a driver, evermore
as a New York City driver. Being able to foresee hazards on the road, outside and inside your
vehicle can be the difference between safe driving and an accident. Defensive driving is a set of
skills that allows a driver to detect hazards such as impaired drivers, bad drivers, unpredictable
weather conditions, mechanical failures, and more. Upon identifying these hazards any driver
can avoid preventing harm to oneself and others.
Expect the Unexpected
You may know the culture of the road but don’t assume you know other driver’s plans. Parked cars may not stay parked, pedestrians may walk out into the road distracted by their phones, other cars may turn without signaling; don’t get caught off guard behind the wheel. Expect other drivers and non-drivers to make mistakes and be ready to react. Allow extra space between yourself and the vehicle ahead of you in case of a shortstop or unexpected problem.
Know Your Surroundings
I.P.D.E.-(Identify, Predict, Decide and Execute) is a very useful concept in defensive driving.
Tips to implement I.P.D.E
- Check your mirrors frequently
- Allow yourself enough distance between yourself and the car ahead of you to respond in case problems arise
- Always check what is happening down the road
- Check the blind spots before merging or turning
- Check the spaces in between cars
- When stopped check your instrument panel to avoid any mechanical problems
Reading the Road
Be considerate of drivers, pedestrians, and bikers, but look out for yourself first. Do not assume another driver is going to move out of the way or allow you to merge. Assume that drivers will run through red lights or stop signs and be prepared to react. Plan your movements by anticipating the worst-case scenario.
Avoiding your aggressive and inattentive driving tendencies will put you in a stronger position to deal with other people’s bad driving. Leave plenty of space between you and the car in front. Always lock your doors and wear your seat belt to protect you from being thrown from the car in a crash.
Communication is Key
As we often here in New York “See Something, Say Something”. Many dangerous situations can be avoided by communicating with others on the road. Using your horn can help prevent an accident. To clarify, avoid using your horn out of anger or frustration. Besides the horn, your
blinkers, brake lights, and hazard lights are an excellent way to communicate. Always communicate your intentions, even when parallel parking or pulling out of a parking spot.
Though even when signaling don’t assume that other drivers have recognized or will respect your signals. Use the low beam headlights when operating a vehicle in the rain, fog, snow, or other poor weather conditions. Your hazard lights should be used to show that there is trouble ahead or with your own vehicle.
Enjoy these tips? Take a Defensive Driving Course and get the perks of your knowledge.
What are the benefits of taking a Point and Insurance Reduction Program aka defensive driver course?
- 100% Online, do it from the comfort of your couch or your favorite cafe
- No final exams!! Small and simple quizzes with unlimited retakes
- Remove damaging points from your DMV driving record, up to 4 points!!
- Get 10% reduction off your insurance premiums, accepted by all insurance companies
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Available for all states
- Sign up though Drive Stick Shift and get 25% off your course
- Gets discounts for Auto and Motorcycle insurance policies
- Easy to complete and above all fun
- New Yorkers’ who complete the course see between $300-$500 off their insurance per year!!
- 100% Money back guaranteed
- Complete at your own speed
Designed by the long-standing driving school with which we are proud to be working with, Improv’s Online Defensive Driving course for New Yorkers provides a convenient way to complete your defensive driving class from the comfort of your home. Commonly referred to as PIRP (Point and Insurance Reduction Program), which is reasonably priced and saves you hundreds on your insurance policy premiums.
We can all agree that New York insurance rates are too dang high. Sign up through Drive Stick Shift and get 25% off your class (new total only $27.99). Complete the easy and enjoyable course in order to save 10% off your insurance payments, saving hundreds a year!